Thursday, December 20, 2012
I guess it is, since the people at the Loyola Health System got into it--but it seems so stupid--even for young people without a lick of common sense, that my mouth fell open.
Kids abuse Christmas spices!
Cinnamon, nutmeg, and marshmallows.
"The envelope is always being pushed," said one doctor.
Loyola treated a dozen pre-teens in the ER. A group of 9-yr-olds tried The Cinnamon Challenge--swallowing a tablespoon of powdered cinnamon without water. This makes you cough and choke!
The internet tells kids it's fun.
Cinnamon calls are up at poison control!
Ground nutmeg (I had heard this before) is snorted or eaten to produce a pot-like high. Kids also abuse hand sanitizer.
And now the marshmallows. You stuff as many in your mouth as you can and try to say Chubby Bunny. Kids have choked TO DEATH doing this.
There is also a drug called K2 or Spice. Drugs tests cannot detect it.
And we thought the Sixties were bad. They were--but not as delicious.